Wednesday, June 11, 2008

NYC Recap- Day 4

I know, you're shocked. I'm actually back to update on my trip. With work and everything I've been a little busy. Working 3rd shift is good, but the whole sleeping thing is an adjustment. Oh well...
I keep having to remind myself that it's summer. I feel like I should be going to the pool, or taking long walks...something. Instead I'm working 3 days a week and then sleeping the rest of the time it seems. I really love working in the PICU though.
Anyway... I guess I should get on to the real reason for this post. :) Enjoy......

Day 4

We got to sleep in a little bit more this day (Saturday). We were going to go to Rockefellar Center (aka Top of the Rock) first and they didn't open until 9 or something, so we slept until 7:45 and then leisurely got ready. So we listened to a little music on my ipod and got ready. We were actually listening to the Wicked soundtrack. Holli came out of the bathroom and clicked her heels (or rather her knees) at one point, she was so excited for the day. :) Haha! She was constantly searching for things, as we all were. Living out of a suitcase is not my ideal, and I don't know how some people do it for an extended period of time.

So, as I mentioned before we were starting off our "shopping/misc" day by going to Top of the Rock. I must admit I wasn't sure about this. I don't know if I quite knew for sure what it was, but now that I know I recommend it to anyone going to NYC. It was great. You go up in these elevators (that have tv's in the ceiling) and then there are three more levels that you can go up (on foot) to look out over the city. The city is quite beautiful from up high. Central Park looks really nice, and a little out of place. It's building after building squished together and then there is this vast green section. It was a perfect day outside, so it was nice to be out and enjoying the view.






(I paid $.50 to look through this thing, and it didn't even work very well. I want my money back!)


(Target Walkway. This whole room lit up with lights intermittantly. It was cool.)



When we were getting ready go down on the elevators the guy who was operating the elevator looked at me and said, "Hi. How ya doing?" I replied, "Good." (I know... how intelligent of me.) Then he says, "Oh good, someone who speaks english." Haha! It is so true!! Everything sounds foreign and garbled everywhere you go. It just cracked me up that he said that. :)
On the ride down you could look up and see the elevator shaft with the cable lit up in all different colors. It was pretty cool, but I recommend looking down if you're afraid of heights or something. I enjoyed it though.

Fun fact: Did you know that Kandace Pelletier from Amazing Race is a Rockette? Right before we got in line to go up on the elevators there was a movie playing and she had a 3 minute blurb about being a Rockette. Who knew....

After Top of the Rock we went around some shops inside Rockefellar Center. Nothing too spectacular, but it was nice to walk around. The NBC studio Store was there. That was a nice thing I guess. I got a shirt and posed with Matt Lauer's cardboard cut out.




Then we went across the street and got our pictures taken with the BIG picture of Matt and Meredith.


Shortly after these pictures we encountered a SCAM ARTIST!!! He wasn't threatening or anything, but he wanted us to buy these hats he had for $10 a piece to "benefit a charity". Whatever Dude!! He was being all suave and flirty, and I was pretty much not looking at him or paying attention. He was ridiculous! He talked to us for awhile and then smoothly mentioned that we could keep the hats he had handed us for the low low price of $10 a piece and then we could walk around with an "I've been scammed" sign on our forehead. Ok, so I added that last part in, but we might as well have if we paid him for them. He can call us Shaniqua, Shanaynay, and Roxie all he wants... we were not paying him for those hats! He was trying to butter us up so we would fork over some cash! We're not dumb! Just as we were walking away he started trying to scam anothe rgroup of people that walked by and this woman chewed him out! She said "I was here last year and one of you people tried to scam me. I'm not falling for that!" To which he kind of stuttered a reply, "It's only a scam if you give me money." Are you kidding me?! What an idiot! Right after he said this we snapped this picture...

Caught ya red handed!! Yea, so that was our excitement of the morning.

Next we started walking toward Grand Central Station. We made a pit stop in a souvenir shop. We had to get something, we'd barely purchased anythign besides food that whole time we'd been there. So we got a shirt and some dirty photo albums (No, we didn't know they were dirty when we bought them. They were wrapped in plastic). It was funny because almost the second we walked into the store we had workers "stalking" us to see if we needed anything. They were trying to sell us something before we left and we wouldn't have the chance to leave if they were 5 inches away. So we pick some things out and as we're still kind of browsing and headed toward the cash register they are nowhere to be found.... Seriously? You stalk me for 15 minutes and then when I'm ready to check out you're down in your store room? Talk about backwards! We finally made our purchases and left.

After that we continued on our way to Grand Central Station for lunch. I love GCS!

It's very beautiful inside, and there is just something about it.... I don't know. It's hard to describe. We stopped in a fun little store called Pylones.


The store had some really fun stuff inside (mostly for children). The cashier cheated me a dollar though. My purchase cost $7.04, and since I didn't want to dig around for 4 pennies I gave her $8. She counted it, looked at me and said "Don't you have 4 pennies?" So I kind of looked at her a second and said "I don't think so." ....Blank stare. So I said, "Well, let me look." So I pull out my wallet and rummage around and finally find 4 pennies. I hand her the pennies and say, "I gave you $8." .... Again she says nothing. She puts the money in the register and gives me my purchas. I looked at her for a second and then I just walked away. I'll forfeit the $1 just as long as I didn't have to look at or talk to her again. She wasn't so bright, and quite frankly rude. What is up with this day?!

So we move on to Juniors, which was on a lower level. This restaraunt is famous for their cheescake. It's very odd how they have food places set up in GCS. They are teeny tiny spaces, and I'm surprised they had sit down places, but they did. We had to wait like 15 minutes, but once we were seated we ordered and everything came in a timely fashion. I was quite impressed. I got a BLT (because I had to see how theirs was compared to ours :p), Holli got turkey (of course), and Lisa got a cheeseburger. All were very yum! We got a piece of Strawberry Cheesecake to share for dessert. Oh my word! It was phenomenal! I think it was the best cheescake I've ever had. If you think your cheesecake can beat theirs you make me one and I'll try it. I'll gladly taste test and see. :)




So after we ate we took a TON of pictures. Of course I had to be a little artsy. :) The funny thing is that Hol and Lisa try to be artsy too, and Lis has a little bit of trouble, but one of the pictures she took was pretty fantastic and artistic with not much effort on her part. It turned out amazing. Snaps for Lisa! (Sorry... just a little left over Legally Blonde there) :)



(Lisa's artsy work.)


Alright, well I think that's enough for this post. Next up... Visiting the Empire State Building (affectionately called the Eiffel Tower by me all week. I don't know why I was so confused), Columbus Circle... You're Fired!, and the Lion King.

Until.............................

No comments: