Monday, September 29, 2008

Finding the Joy in Everything...

My small group is going through the Bible Study When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy by John Piper. For me this study is so hard to grasp at first. The study is a dvd series so we all do preparation in our study book, then come and watch 40 minutes or so of the dvd conference and then we talk about it. I find myself sitting there at the end of the dvd with a confused feeling. He is so deep and he movies so fast that just a few snippets actually filter in to my brain to be processed immediately. It takes me a couple of days for the rest (or atleast part of the rest) to sink in.
One thing that I am getting is that God wants us to find the joy in everything, not just the good things. Sure, it's easy to be joyful when something good happens, but you also have to have that same joy when things don't exactly go the way you would have wanted them to. Can you imagine if Phillipians 4:4 said "Rejoice in the Lord sometimes."? NO! There is a reason it says "Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS! I will say it again: Rejoice!" God has a plan and purpose for everything in our lives, and even though we may not be happy about it all the time He still wants us to rejoice.
Last night during the video John was talking about how they were singing a song and he was just so overwhelmed with joy that he thought to himself "Wouldn't it just be wonderful to have a heart attack and die right now?" That kind of took me aback for a moment. He was so joyful and content with where his life was that he was ready to die and go meet his God. That is the kind of attitude we should have for ourselves. We should be living our lives in such a way that if we were to die in 30 seconds we would be ready to go face judgement before our King.
So, even though it may be hard at times, try and find the joy in EVERYTHING. The rain, the leaves changing, school, work, good times, hard times...
I know that when I was waiting to hear back about my job I just kept praying that I would be content with whatever decision He had for me and that I would find the joy in that situation. It wouldn't be easy, but I was praying for Him to help me with that. Maybe that's why he had me waiting so long. I spent that last week of waiting contemplating on the small group lesson from that Sunday and He was working hard on my heart to change my way of thinking. I was going to rejoice in whatever situation happened.... and I did.

Until..........................

No comments: