Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Enjoying the Last Bits of Summer...

Sorry I've been out of touch. You know what, I take that back. I'm not sorry. I've been working (of course) and when I haven't been doing that I've been off having fun and enjoying myself.

I was struck with the surreal realization the other day that I do not have to go to school this year. Weird! I had (and still don't) no idea when the first day of school is, I'd been skillfully avoiding the school supply area at Walmart, and I was able to take a weekend away with my good friend Robin, her daughter, aunt and mom to St Louis. I was kind of a tag-along, but they welcomed me with open arms and we had a blast.

We left for St Louis on Friday morning, which was interesting, since Robin and I worked the night before. We got to sleep a little in the car though, which was nice. Once we got there and checked into our hotel, apartment, condo thing-y we decided to head over to the mall. We got a couple of hours of shopping in and then we decided to head off to meet one of Vickie's friends from nursing school for dinner. I was remiss and did not take hardly any pictures! I don't know what was wrong with me. In fact, I was only in one picture the whole trip and it was when we got to the theatre on Saturday afternoon. Oh well. Anyway, my dinner was DELICIOUS with a huge capital D! We ate at Maggiano's. Oh. My. Word. ya'll, the food was delicious! I got the Chicken and Spinach Manicotti, and it was to die for! I have seriously thought about it everyday since. I can't wait to go back and have me some more! Everyone else had "okay" meals, but mine won the prize for most delicious. I'm salivating just thinking about it now!

After dinner we went across the street to Crate and Barrel and for the most part just sat on different couches. I guess we were still a little tired. Then We headed off to some Home store that Vickie and Julie wanted to go check out. Afterwards we went to the famous Ted Drewes for ice cream. I guess I am completely sheltered because I had no idea what everyone was talking about at dinner when Ted Drewes came up. Well, I soon heard the story and got to witness the madness that was "Ted Drewes". Lola (Vickie's friend from nursing school) gave us the grand tour around the city and I pretty much love her. She's hilarious and so nice. I kept seeing mine and Robin's future of what we were going to be like as "nursing school buddies" in x amount of years. However, we both told each other we weren't allowed to move without the other one, so darn it all, no moves to St Louis in my near future.

Saturday brought a new day, still without much rest. We were all in fairly uncomfortable beds (or in my case a couch) and it didn't help the matter that our 'neighbors' came home at 2:30a and were being anything but quiet. I seriously was going to have a major smackdown if they didn't stop their loud nonsense and zip it. People were trying to sleep! We decided to head over to the mall after breakfast and get a couple more hours of shopping in. I was looking for a dress to wear to a wedding, but all the ones I saw were way too expensive and not worth it to wear a couple times since I wear scrubs for a living. We were off to Mary Poppins at 2p, and we were all pretty excited about it.

The Fox Theatre was down on Grande Ave and it was beautiful on the inside. It was pretty dark, so I didn't get any adequate pictures with my flash-less cell phone, but it was amazing all the same. Pictures wouldn't have done it justice. The first act was a little slow in parts. I'm not sure if that was because we were all so tired or if it really was slow, but the second act picked up and it was over before we knew it. Mary Poppins even FLEW up by our section. We were quite impressed!

After the show we jetted off, because the crew was kind enough to drop me off in Springfield so I could attend the Fair and see Kelly Clarkson in Concert. She was amazing, as usual. I didn't get home until almost midnight and I was pretty zonked so I slept until 3:30p the next day. I worked that night though, so I had an excuse. :)

Well, that's what I've been up to. If Robin ever posts pictures (hem hem) I will make sure to put it up so you can see that I actually did go the St Louis this past weekend. :)

Until................

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I just adored Mary Poppins when I saw it in Chicago!