Tuesday, April 21, 2009

When it Rains, It Floods...

Yes, that's right. Our house has flooded.

My dad went down to investigate the hot water heater on Sunday night, because my mom wasn't getting even remotely warm water for her bath. What did he find? The water had risen so high it had burnt out the pilot light in the water heater.

After sucking 100+ gallons of water up and 3 hours later the situation was looking grim. He had to turn the water off, but he didn't think that it was our problem. He thought it was the city. Right-o he was. He was forced to take a personal day from work on Monday so he could stay home and keep cleaning out the mud and water drenched items that we had been storing in our basement.

Thankfully several people from our church came to help in the effort and mom and Holli took off early from work. I was at work until almost 8 o'clock, so once I finally got home the disaster was managed.

The girls stayed the night on "Rain Duty". They were both up every half hour to make sure it wasn't raining. I was exhausted from my lack of sleep the night before and a full day at work, so once I was out that was the end of it. I didn't hear much again until almost 6am when Lisa came into my room so mom could let the dog out of her pen.

There were only minor sprinkles today, so we didn't have to take anymore drastic efforts to keep water out. The sink hole hasn't gotten any bigger...oh yea, did I forget to mention we have a sink hole in the front yard? There is currently a construction easel looking thing (for lack of a better word) over it so no one walks into it and we have spray paint lines and flags all over our yard and street. I can only imagine what it will all look like once the city comes out to fix it. Hopefully it's soon since Sun-Tues is expected to have rain.

Well, now you know what we've been up to. I've been working mostly. I go to nights next week. I can't believe it's almost May. The weather sure doesn't feel like it. I guess April showers bring May flowers.... Stupid saying... More like April showers bring sink holes and mud into your basement to muck up all your treasured items in storage. *sigh*...

Until.........................

No comments: